- Give to the Campaign for Equal Justice. The best
way to increase access is to create more legal aid staff
- Review your IOLTA account for abandoned
client funds. The funds are paid to the Oregon State
Bar for appropriation to legal aid through the Oregon
State Bar’s Legal Services Program.
- Shop. Support legal aid when you shop at Fred
Meyer by linking your rewards card to CEJ (ask at the customer service desk to set it up or click here) and when you shop at Amazon through AmazonSmile. It costs you nothing, but supports
- Educate. Talk about the importance of access to justice. Let people know that civil legal aid is there for those who need help. Host a Campaign for Equal Justice CLE for one hour of Access to Justice credit for attorneys.
- Endow. Take simple steps to endow your
annual gift to the Campaign’s endowment fund.
- Volunteer through one of legal aid’s many
volunteer lawyer projects and clinics, or help the
Campaign for Equal Justice raise money for legal aid.
- Speak Up. Let state, federal, and private funders know that access to justice is important.
- Learn how legal aid services are delivered in your community so that you can make appropriate referrals for low-income clients.
- Move your IOLTA accounts to a “Leadership
Bank.” If all lawyers took this step, funding for legal
aid could increase by as much as $900,000—enough
to fund two small rural legal aid offices. Contact the
OLF at www.oregonlawfoundation.org.
- Connect. Ask your bar group to take action
to support statewide legal aid programs in Oregon.
Contact the CEJ for ideas.