After enduring years of emotional, verbal, and physical violence, Silvia finally decided she had to get help. Legal aid helped her file for a restraining order. Silvia was afraid, but she persevered, and the restraining order was upheld. Silvia and her daughters finally feel safe in their own home.
The 23rd Annual Campaign for Equal Justice Marion-Polk Luncheon was a big success!
Speakers included Marion County District Attorney Paige Clarkson, Vanessa Nordyke, Danny Santos, Audrey Hirsch, Ryan Collier, Angelica Vega, and Heather Van Meter from the Marion County Bar Association. $51,500 has been raised so far—a great start!
Civil legal aid ensures fairness in the justice system, regardless of how much money you have. Justice for all is a right, not a privilege. Every lawyer can do their part to ensure justice for all by supporting legal aid in Oregon. So far, 204 people in the region have donated to support legal aid this year. Our goal is to surpass last year’s total and reach 350 donors. There’s still time to add your name to the list!
Give us a call at 503-295-8442 to learn how you can help, or simply click on the donate button above!
The winners of the Raffle for Justice were chosen at Party Under the Stars on September 19, 2019. We're pleased to announce the winners below, and to thank you for helping to raise almost $6,000 for legal aid in Oregon!Gift Baskets
- Stumptown Coffee Basket (Donated by Tonkon Torp)--THOMAS PAYNE, SCHWABE
- Cozy Fall Basket: Get your hygge on and stay warm in chilly weather (Donated by Smith Freed & Eberhard)--KRISTINA MACK, PERKINS COIE
- Specialty Wine Basket (Donated by Miller Nash Graham & Dunn)--ANN MARIE SCHOTT, KLEIN MUNSINGER
- Movie & Beer Basket: beer, movie tickets, candy, and more (Donated by Farleigh Wada Witt)--BROOKS COOPER, DRANEAS & HUGLIN
- $100 gift certificate to Besaw’s (Donated by Kell Alterman & Runstein)--MICK HARRIS, TONKON TORP
- $100 gift certificate to Fogo de Chao (Donated by Holland & Knight)--ERIN SWEENEY, LITTLER MENDELSON
- $100 gift certificate to Bamboo Sushi (Donated by Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt) --KRISTINA HOLM, PERKINS COIE
- $100 gift certificate to Restaurant St. Jack (Donated by Lindsay Hart)--JEFFREY ARMISTEAD, OREGON COURT OF APPEALS
- Pair of Trailblazer tickets (Donated by Barran Liebman)--DMITRIY GOLOSINSKIY, SMITH FREED
- Family Membership to the Oregon Zoo (Donated by Bullivant Houser Bailey)--ANNA SORTUN, TONKON TORP
- Cooking class for two at Cookshop (Donated by Vial Fotheringham)--JANE LOWERY, WILLAMETTE VALLEY BANK
- BrewCycle: $150 gift certificate / 4 spots on a BrewCycle tour (Donated by Littler Mendelson)--HON. ANGEL LOPEZ, MULT. CO. CIRCUIT COURT
Who will win the coveted Rubber Chicken Award for funniest lawyer comedian? Find out on October 25, 2019, at Harvey's Comedy Club in downtown Portland! Shows at 6pm and 9pm.
Featuring the lawyerly comedy stylings of: Cierra Brown, K.L. Edwards, Diane Henkels, Anthony Kuchulis, Sarah Lowe, Phil Emerson, Paul Neese, Mitra Shahri, Georgia Smithee, and Heather Weigler
Celebrity judges: Hon Cheryl Albrecht, Hon Robyn Aoyagi, Rep Tina Kotek, Hon Greg Silver, Hon Ben Souede, Hon Katherine Tennyson, Hon Ulanda Watkins, and Liani Reeves
Master of ceremonies: Laf-Off alumnus Tyler Volm
Generously sponsored by: Multnomah Bar Association, Heritage Bank, Pacific West Bank
CEJ was saddened to learn of the recent passing of Lara L. Skidmore, the Managing Partner of Troutman Sanders’ Portland office. Her husband, John Moot, has generously offered to fund a new domestic violence attorney position at Legal Aid Services of Oregon, in her memory.
John states: “I have committed to fund, in Lara’s name, an additional Legal Aid Services attorney in Portland for a minimum of eight years, focusing on areas that Lara cared about the most. With the help of additional donations from her friends and supporters and some additional work on my part, I am hopeful we can push this to ten years of full funding, which will enable hundreds, if not thousands, of people who cannot afford an attorney to get the legal services they deserve. In the process, this effort will ensure that we build something positive out of her tragic and premature death.”
Donations in Lara’s honor can be made to CEJ on this page. We thank you for honoring her memory and for helping to support domestic violence survivors in Oregon.
CEJ's 2018-19 Annual Report is scheduled hit mailboxes across the state during the week of July 1, 2019. We're excited to share the accomplishments of our donors, volunteers, board, and staff.
If you'd like to see an electronic copy, you can find it here.
With such a big undertaking, we are bound to make some mistakes. You can see our list of corrections and additions here.
We wouldn't have such strong statewide support for legal aid without you. Together, we are legal aid! Thanks again.
The study has been in the news recently. Read more about it in the following stories and editorials:
You & Legal Aid Helped Clara
After Clara's abuser sent her to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, legal aid helped keep her and her son safe and in their home.
You & Legal Aid Helped Emily
Emily's husband was violent and the violence was escalating. Legal aid helped guide Emily through the restraining order process.
You & Legal Aid Helped Steve
When "Steve's" landlord shut off the boiler, leaving all the tenants without heat for eight months, legal aid helped them assert their rights.
Miller Nash Graham & Dunn
25th Anniversary Dinner Sponsor, 2016; Portland Justice Trivia Sponsor, 2017-2018