After enduring years of emotional, verbal, and physical violence, Silvia finally decided she had to get help. Legal aid helped her file for a restraining order. Silvia was afraid, but she persevered, and the restraining order was upheld. Silvia and her daughters finally feel safe in their own home.
In conjunction with our young lawyer event, Party Under the Stars, CEJ will again be holding the Raffle for Justice. Check out the amazing prizes below, then click on this link to buy raffle tickets online! Tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. (More details on the purchase page.)Gift Baskets
- Stumptown Coffee Basket (Donated by Tonkon Torp)
- Cozy Fall Basket: Get your hygge on and stay warm in chilly weather (Donated by Smith Freed & Eberhard)
- Specialty Wine Basket (Donated by Miller Nash Graham & Dunn)
- Movie & Beer Basket: beer, movie tickets, candy, and more (Donated by Farleigh Wada Witt)
- $100 gift certificate to Besaw’s (Donated by Kell Alterman & Runstein)
- $100 gift certificate to Fogo de Chao (Donated by Holland & Knight)
- $100 gift certificate to Bamboo Sushi (Donated by Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt)
- $100 gift certificate to Restaurant St. Jack (Donated by Lindsay Hart)
- Pair of Trailblazer tickets (Donated by Barran Liebman)
- Family Membership to the Oregon Zoo (Donated by Bullivant Houser Bailey)
- Cooking class for two at Cookshop (Donated by Vial Fotheringham)
- BrewCycle: $150 gift certificate / 4 spots on a BrewCycle tour (Donated by Littler Mendelson)
CEJ was saddened to learn of the recent passing of Lara L. Skidmore, the Managing Partner of Troutman Sanders’ Portland office. Her husband, John Moot, has generously offered to fund a new domestic violence attorney position at Legal Aid Services of Oregon, in her memory.
John states: “I have committed to fund, in Lara’s name, an additional Legal Aid Services attorney in Portland for a minimum of eight years, focusing on areas that Lara cared about the most. With the help of additional donations from her friends and supporters and some additional work on my part, I am hopeful we can push this to ten years of full funding, which will enable hundreds, if not thousands, of people who cannot afford an attorney to get the legal services they deserve. In the process, this effort will ensure that we build something positive out of her tragic and premature death.”
Donations in Lara’s honor can be made to CEJ on this page. We thank you for honoring her memory and for helping to support domestic violence survivors in Oregon.
CEJ's 2018-19 Annual Report is scheduled hit mailboxes across the state during the week of July 1, 2019. We're excited to share the accomplishments of our donors, volunteers, board, and staff.
If you'd like to see an electronic copy, you can find it here.
With such a big undertaking, we are bound to make some mistakes. You can see our list of corrections and additions here.
We wouldn't have such strong statewide support for legal aid without you. Together, we are legal aid! Thanks again.
The study has been in the news recently. Read more about it in the following stories and editorials:
We honored the individuals and firms that made outstanding contributions in support of legal aid this year and helped us exceed our fundraising goal. We also heard from James Sandman, president of the Legal Services Corporation, about how special Oregon is to have such breadth and depth of commitment to equal justice. He encouraged us to strive to be more like legal aid lawyers, who exemplify the very highest of American values.
See photos from the event here.
You & Legal Aid Helped Clara
After Clara's abuser sent her to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, legal aid helped keep her and her son safe and in their home.
You & Legal Aid Helped Emily
Emily's husband was violent and the violence was escalating. Legal aid helped guide Emily through the restraining order process.
You & Legal Aid Helped Steve
When "Steve's" landlord shut off the boiler, leaving all the tenants without heat for eight months, legal aid helped them assert their rights.
Miller Nash Graham & Dunn
25th Anniversary Dinner Sponsor, 2016; Portland Justice Trivia Sponsor, 2017-2018