- Give to the Campaign for Equal Justice. The best way to increase access is to create more legal aid staff attorney positions.
- Learn how legal aid services are delivered in your community so that you can make appropriate referrals for low-income clients.
- Volunteer through one of legal aid’s many volunteer lawyer projects and clinics, or help the Campaign for Equal Justice raise money for legal aid.
- Speak Up. Let state, federal, and private funders know that access to justice is important.
- Educate. Talk about the importance of access to justice. Let people know that civil legal aid is there for those who need help. Host a Campaign for Equal Justice CLE for one hour of Access to Justice credit for attorneys.
- Connect. Ask your bar group to take action to support statewide legal aid programs in Oregon. Contact the CEJ for ideas.
- Endow. Take simple steps to endow your annual gift to the Campaign’s endowment fund.
- Shop. Support legal aid when you shop at Fred Meyer by linking your rewards card to CEJ (ask at the customer service desk to set it up or click here). It costs you nothing, but supports legal aid.
- Review your IOLTA account for abandoned client funds. The funds are paid to the Oregon State Bar for appropriation to legal aid through the Oregon State Bar’s Legal Services Program.
- Move your IOLTA accounts to one of Oregon Law Foundation's Leadership Banks or Credit Unions. If all lawyers took this step, funding for legal aid could increase by as much as $1.7 million—enough to fund two small rural legal aid offices. Contact the OLF at www.oregonlawfoundation.org.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON HOW YOU CAN BE INVOLVED, CONTACT THE CAMPAIGN FOR EQUAL JUSTICE.
Organizations that have signed on to the Call of Action include: