Sharon and Bill are in their sixties and disabled. They live in a small community and were able to qualify for reduced-cost housing, which allows them to make ends meet with Social Security benefits. However, their landlord didn’t maintain the apartment. For almost two years, Sharon and Bill tried to get him to fix sparks coming from their stove and a leaking pipe that was causing rot and mold. The final straw was the day Bill got an electrical shock from the stove. He wasn’t seriously hurt, but the couple was shaken. They knew they needed help, so they called legal aid. Legal aid contacted the landlord, informed him of his duties under the law, and within two weeks the repairs were completed.

Scroll to Top