What is CEJ? Founded by Lawyers, Supported by the Legal Community
Oregon lawyers established the Campaign for Equal Justice (CEJ) in 1991, with the mission of making equal access to justice a reality for all Oregonians. CEJ is the support organization for Oregon’s statewide legal aid programs, who encourage your support through CEJ. In the past 27 years, CEJ has raised more than $27 million in its annual fund drive.
CEJ activities include:
- operating an Annual Fund Drive with the help of 300 volunteer lawyers across Oregon;
- educating lawyers and the community about access to justice and how legal services are delivered in Oregon;
- working with lawyer volunteers and bar organizations to increase state and federal funding for legal aid;
- growing foundation support for legal aid programs; and
- managing an Endowment to preserve the future of legal aid.
When you support CEJ, you make a difference for low-income and elderly Oregonians all across the state. Your support helps legal aid serve people with the most critical legal needs—food, shelter, medical care, income maintenance, and physical safety. About forty percent of legal aid’s cases involve family law, usually helping victims of domestic violence, and almost eighty percent of legal aid’s clients are women, most with children to support. Thank you for helping legal aid!
YOUR ASSISTANCE MEANS MORE THAN EVER BEFORE
There are 850,000 low-income and elderly Oregonians eligible for legal aid services. The need has increased under pressure from a weak economy; since 2000, poverty in Oregon has risen by 61%. With help from supporters like you, Oregon legal aid programs will serve about 28,500 families and individuals this year.
Dspite the tremendous efforts of CEJ volunteers and contributors, legal aid still meets just 15% of the legal needs of Oregon’s poor. You can help change that.
If you supported legal aid this year, thank you! If you did not, there's still time to help.
- representation and advice from legal aid lawyers;
- self-help materials, classes, and websites;
- matching pro bono lawyers and low-income clients; and
- securing public funding and foundation support to help maintain the integrity of our justice system.
Learn about other ways you can help.
Meet our board, staff, and advisory committee.
Read about the findings of our Task Force on Legal Aid Funding.
Browse CEJ’s Annual Reports.
Review CEJ’s financial reports.