What is CEJ? Founded by Lawyers, Supported by the Legal Community
Oregon lawyers established the Campaign for Equal Justice (CEJ) in 1991, with the mission of making equal access to justice a reality for all Oregonians. CEJ is the support organization for Oregon’s statewide legal aid programs, who encourage your support through CEJ. Since its inception, CEJ has raised more than $33.5 million in its annual fund drives in support of legal aid.
CEJ activities include:
- operating an Annual Fund Drive with the help of 300+ volunteer lawyers across Oregon;
- educating lawyers and the community about access to justice and how legal services are delivered in Oregon;
- working with lawyer volunteers and bar organizations to increase state and federal funding for legal aid;
- growing foundation support for legal aid programs; and
- managing an Endowment to preserve the future of legal aid.
When you support CEJ, you make a difference for low-income and senior Oregonians all across the state. Your support helps legal aid serve people with the most critical legal needs—food, shelter, medical care, income maintenance, and physical safety. About twenty five percent of legal aid’s cases involve family law, usually helping victims of domestic violence, and almost eighty percent of legal aid’s clients are women, most with children to support. Thank you for helping legal aid!
YOUR ASSISTANCE MEANS MORE THAN EVER BEFORE
There are almost 700,000 low-income and senior Oregonians eligible for legal aid services. The need only increased under pressure from the Covid pandemic and wildfires. With help from supporters like you, Oregon legal aid programs served almost 23,000 families and individuals in 2022, and helped over 500,000 people through administrative advocacy that improves the system for everyone.
Despite the tremendous efforts of CEJ volunteers and contributors, legal aid can't meet all of the legal needs of Oregon’s poor. You can help change that.
If you supported legal aid this year, thank you! If you did not, there's still time to help.
Please make a donation today. Your gift, in any amount, helps provide direct legal assistance to about thousands of individuals and families across Oregon every year, including:
- representation and advice from legal aid lawyers;
- self-help materials, classes, and websites;
- matching pro bono lawyers and low-income clients; and
- securing public funding and foundation support to help maintain the integrity of our justice system.
Learn about other ways you can help.
Meet our board, staff, and advisory committee.
Read about the findings of our Task Force on Legal Aid Funding.
Browse CEJ’s Annual Reports.
Review CEJ’s financial reports.